When someone you care about suddenly turns up missing, it can be an incredibly frightening experience. Oftentimes, these cases are simply a matter of miscommunication or of an unforeseen problem such as a car breaking down or someone losing their cell phone service. In other cases, however, it could be much more serious.
When dealing with a missing person, it is always best to err on the side of caution and take action right away. If they truly have gone missing, quick action can improve the chances of finding them. The following tips on how to search for a missing person can ensure that you are doing everything you can to find them:
- Contact the police right away. Oftentimes, people don’t contact the police when they suspect that someone is missing, simply because they believe that there is a certain waiting period that has to pass before the police will do anything. Although this may be true, the sooner you report the person missing, the better. This is particularly true in the case of missing children.
- Be prepared to provide police with information on the missing person. This includes their name, age, address, any known contacts, the type of vehicle that they drive, and other information that could prove valuable in the search. You should also bring several photographs of the person with you to the station. If the missing person has any medical conditions, be sure to alert the police to them as well.
- Reach out to people who know the person. Contact the person’s friends or family members to see if they have heard from them.
- Contact hospitals. Start by asking for the person by name. If they don’t have any record of them, ask if they have any unidentified patients who match the description of the person you are looking for.
- Gather information on social media. For teenagers or adults, check their social media accounts to see if they have posted any relevant information regarding their whereabouts.
- Hang flyers. Get a flyer printed that has a clear photograph of the person that you are looking for along with your contact information. Hang the flyers around your local community on the off chance that someone happens to see the person that you are looking for.
- Consider hiring a private investigator. If you are not having any luck with your search, reaching out to a private investigator may be a smart move. Unlike law enforcement officials who may be tied up in other cases, they can fully dedicate themselves to the search.
Searching for a missing person is never easy. However, the more time and effort you put into the process, the more likely you are to wind up with a happy ending.
Beau Dietl & Associates is a premier Private Investigator NYC Company with offices in New Jersey, Florida and California. We have affiliates in every large city across the United States through our unique Investigations.com network. We also have partners around the world in almost every country. These contacts were developed from over 30 years of experience in the private investigations and security sector. We can help you with any problems you may be facing.
Address: 1 Pennsylvania Plaza, 50th Floor, New York, NY 10119
Phone: (212) 557-3334