If you think you are victim of identity theft, BDA recommends that you consult these useful guides from the Federal Trade Commission:
BDA also recommends that victims do the following:
- Immediately contact any financial institutions or companies where you suspect or know that identity theft has occurred.
- We recommend that you place a fraud alert on your credit reports with the three major credit reporting agencies; their contact information follows:
- BDA recommends that you file a police report with local law enforcement officers and retain a record of the police report.
- BDA also recommends that you complete an ID Theft Affidavit with the Federal Trade Commission, which is accessible here: https://www.identitytheft.gov/Steps.
- Additional remedial and preventative steps are outlined in the Federal Trade Commission guides listed above.