As time goes on, it seems as though things are getting more dangerous on the streets. Here are 10 basic tips for staying street smart when traveling by foot, by car, or by transit:
- Always stay alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Come off as confident and strong/avoid looking weak and unsure.
- Notice where local police stations, fire stations, and other important facilities are located.
- Stick to well lit, more populated routes when walking to a destination.
- Carry all bags and belongings close to your body.
- Park your car around other cars or under lamp posts.
- Keep car doors locked and windows rolled up when exiting your vehicle.
- Never pick up hitchhikers. Similarly, never hitchhike.
- Whenever possible, travel via train, subway, or bus with someone else.
- Never head home if you feel that you are being followed.
Remember to always trust your instincts and report any suspicious behavior or activity. It’s better to be safe than to be sorry. If you feel unsafe, never hesitate to contact the police or other safety emergency services. If problems persist, contact a professional private investigator who can provide you with the appropriate services to make you feel at ease.